Firefox 3.0 Beta 1 came out today. Being a browserista (aka a browser-fanatic), I downloaded and played with it.
Here’s what’s new for the Mac crowd in Firefox 3:
- Native look and feel in HTML forms – which means that you’ll see Aqua buttons
- Growl support for completed downloads
- Integration with the OS X spellchecker
- Better dialog for allowing access to third party apps to handle custom URL schemes
Well it is a step in the right direction, but I think there’s still quite a ways to looking and feeling like a Mac app. Here’s a few suggestions:
- Much better AppleScript support
- Make the default Downloads folder be the ~/Downloads folder like in Leoaprd instead of ~/Desktop
- Follow the Mac way of Window Zooming and grow big enough for the web page, not just try to take up the whole screen like is common on Windows
- Support the Safari .webarchive format
Its early yet, but it looks like the next round of the Mac browser wars is going to be interesting.